Student in Residence: Natalie's Blog Entry 10
Posted on February 11, 2019 in Student in Residence
I hope everyone is staying warm during this brutal winter. Ohio State had a snow day two weeks ago because of the frigid temperatures! History was truly being made because OSU has only closed 14 times since 1978.
Now that’s it February, Valentines Day is just around the corner! Although a somewhat cheesy holiday, in my opinion, it’s still an awesome opportunity to reflect on the persons and opportunities you love and are thankful for. Therefore, I thought it would be appropriate to reflect on 10 things I love about OLWT, in celebration of this holiday.
Here are my top things I love about OLWT:
- Your friendliness, kindness, and acceptance as I pursued this unique opportunity. I have been blessed to be surrounded by residents who have welcomed me so warmly into this environment.
- Your knowledge and wisdom! I have learned so much about all areas of life based on stories and thoughts shared with me, information I have internalized and processed. It has especially changed my perception drastically of what it means to age and how to do it well.
- The staff. The staff here has been a rock for me, especially in administering Porch Stories and aiding in the millions of things I’m doing!
- My apartment and the view. To live in an apartment on my own and have incredible views of the city is truly thrilling. It’s incredibly comforting and exciting to see the city lights.
- The food. The Crossings and the Bistro has provided some of the most delicious food I’ve ever had! I will definitely miss it when I move out.
- Leslie Belfance. I would not have had the opportunity to live in such a place if it wasn’t for her. She has been such a support during this process and has encouraged me endlessly.
- Floor dinners. Floor dinners have been one of my events to attend with all of you. I can meet a various amount of people while sharing a meal together. I’ve made some great relationships from attending these.
- Porch stories. Porch Stories of course has to be on this list. Porch Stories has been an amazing experience because I learn of the completely different lives that you have lived. My most favorite memories of living here will be facilitating this activity.
- The culture. The culture of this facility is one that is diverse and knowledgeable. Many of you have challenged me to think more deeply on certain subjects (which has humbled me greatly). I have grown extensively from attending current events and learning to navigate the media and information.
- The fireside lounge and rooftop garden. These are some of my favorite places to read, do my homework, or simply relax and listen to music. These environments are incredibly comforting and warm and provide the necessary stress-relief that all of us need.
What are some things all of you love about OLWT? I’d love to hear them! Have a wonderful Valentine’s day!
See more of Natalie's blogs and the comments here
Read more about Age-Friendly Columbus