Ohio Living Palliative Medicine is here to lighten the load of caring for a loved one with serious, chronic illness. We work to manage their symptoms so that they – and you – can have peace of mind and enjoy life to the fullest.
Here are some frequently asked questions about palliative medicine, as well as some resources that may help:
What is palliative medicine?
Palliative medicine is specialized medical care provided by a specially trained team of doctors and nurses who work together with a patient’s other doctors to provide an extra layer of support. It is appropriate at any stage of a serious illness, and it can be provided along with curative treatment.
Where are palliative medicine services delivered?
Services are provided anywhere a patient calls home.
How do I know if this palliative medicine is right for me or my loved one?
Palliative medicine may be right for you if you suffer from uncontrolled symptoms related to your illness.
Does insurance cover this care?
Most insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid, cover palliative medicine. Co-pays may apply, depending on your insurance plan.
What can I expect from palliative medicine?
The goal of palliative medicine is to improve quality of life for both the patient and their family.
Who can benefit from palliative medicine?
- Pain in/from bone, muscle, nerve, tissue or tumor
- Stress, anxiety or depression
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty sleeping
- Loss of appetite
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Other debilitating symptoms
What symptoms can be addressed?
- Shortness of breath
- Nausea or loss of appetite
- Difficulty sleeping
- Stress of medical treatments
What can the Ohio Living Palliative Medicine team do for my loved one?
- Work in partnership with their doctors to provide an extra layer of support for them and their family
- Provide in-home visits from a palliative medicine provider to assess their overall needs
- Assist with advance care planning
- Relieve symptoms and distress
- Help them better understand their disease and diagnosis
- Help clarify their treatment goals and options
- Understand and support their ability to cope with their illness
- Assist with making medical decisions
- Coordinate with their other doctors
- Advance Care Planning Forms https://www.leadingageohio.org/aws/LAO/pt/sp/advance_directives
- ALS- Understanding Lou Gehrig’s Disease https://www.als.org
- Alzheimer’s Association https://www.alz.org
- American Cancer Society https://www.cancer.org
- American Diabetes Association https://www.diabetes.org
- American Heart Association https://www.heart.org
- Parkinson’s Foundation https://www.parkinson.org
- American Kidney Fund https://kidneyfund.org
- American Stroke Association https://stroke.org
- American Lung Association https://www.lung.org/
- Medicare Rights Center http://medicarerights.org
- National Association of United States for Aging and Disabilities https://nasuad.org
- Ohio KePRRO Appeal hospital’s discharge practice https://kepreoqio.com
- Ohio Legal Rights Service https://disabilityroghtsohio.org
- Elder Law Services https://legalaidline.org
- Long Term Care Ombudsman 1.800.542.1874
- Ohio Department of Aging https://aging.ohio.gov
- American Society on Aging https://www.asaging.org
- Ohio Senior Centers https://www.careohio.org/list11_ohio_senior_centers.htm
- Senior Meal Services https://areaofficeonaging.com/services/all/search/results/p3?q=home-delivered+meals
- Senior Transportation https://aging.ohio.gov/care-and-living/staying-active/staying-active-catalog/transportation-assistance
- Ohio Job and Family Services https://jfs.ohio.gov/
Caregiving Support and Resources
- Caring Connections https://www.caringinfo.org/
- Family Caregiver Alliance https://www.caregiver.org/
- Funeral and End of Life planning https://www.efuneral.com
- Social Security Administration https://www.ssa.gov/
- American Council of the Blind Ohio https://www.acbohio.org
- Americans with Disabilities Act http://ada.gov
- Hearing Loss Association of America https://hearingloss.org
- Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities https://dodd.ohio.gov/
- National Association of the Deaf https://nasuad.org
Health Insurance Information
- Medicare https://www.medicare.gov/
- Ohio Insurance https://insurance.ohio.gov/
- Ohio Drug Card https://ohiodrugcard.com/
- Good RX- Discount Pharmacy https://www.goodrx.com/
- Hospice Foundation https://hospicefoundation.org/
Palliative Care Resources
- Ohio Living Palliative Medicine https://www.ohioliving.org/ohio-living-palliative-care
- Get Palliative Care https://getpalliativecare.org/
- Center to Advance Palliative Care https://www.capc.org/about/palliative-care/
- Senior Law https://Seniorlaw.com
- Ohio Adult Protective Services https://jfs.ohio.gov/ocf/aps.stm
- Medical Alert Systems https://www.lifeline.philips.com/medical-alert-systems.html